Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Orange Hawkweed

Thought I would do a post on my blog-namesake, for something less thought-heavy.

The Orange Hawkweed (Pilosella aurantiaca or Hieracium aurantiacum, sources are divided) is a gorgeous flame-orange colored wildflower that has a fuzzy stem, grows from a basal rosette of fuzzy leaves, and commonly has one to multiple blooms on the end of its one central stalk.  It has a distinct fragrance that is a soft, subtle, and delicate kind of sweetness that is very unoffensive. You have to actually stick your nose up to the blaze-colored bloom to catch a whiff of it, though. 

The plant is native to Europe, but found its way to North America and Australia, most likely by people migrating.
In Europe, it is grown as an ornamental and a protected species in some areas.
In America, it's all over my yard, and mowed over by neighbors without a thought or a care, because it's just another unsightly invasive weed - regardless of it's glowingly lovely color and scent. 

I haven't found a use for this beautiful fire-like flower yet, edible, medicinal, or otherwise, but it is a delight to have around. I appreciate a fistful of these in my husband's hand more than a bouquet of red roses (which are cliché and too heady-smelling).

Orange Hawkweed is also on the Idaho "noxious weeds" list. http://www.oneplan.org/Crop/noxWeeds/nxWeed18.asp  Epic razz to that, says I.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to mention that Idaho weed list, but I didn't want to seem unhospitable, lol.

    ReplyDelete